Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Koonthal Roast Recipe Kit (No. 55)
- 1 pound Squid [cleaned and cut into rings]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 4 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 1 piece Jalapeno
- 1 piece Tomato [1 medium-sized = 0.3 lb]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 0.75 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting and Chopping
1. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel and finely dice fresh ginger root or grate using a ginger grater.
- 3. Peel and finely mince garlic cloves or crush using a garlic press.
- 4. De-seed & finely dice jalapeno.
- 5. Finely chop tomato.
- Preparing Herb and Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a wok OR saute pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Gold Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will be just 10-15 seconds if the oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced onion, diced ginger, minced garlic and chopped jalapeno. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent and ginger and garlic loose their pungent smell and start smelling nutty and little sweet.
- Layer 4
Add entire contents of Black Pack, ¾ teaspoon of salt & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and roast on medium heat for another 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 5
Add chopped tomatoes and ½ cup of water to the herb and spice mix. Stir it gently to mix it well. Continue on medium heat stirring occasionally till tomatoes become pulpy and their skin separate.
- Layer 6
Add 2 cups of water to the spice mix, add squid and stir it well. Cook till squid is tender.
- Layer 7
Add entire contents of Silver Pack and cook on medium heat for another 2-3 minutes, stirring gently and mixing well.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking. Cooking Time Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to cook. If cooking in sauce pan add more water to prevent drying out.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!