Sautéed shredded cabbage served tempered with South Indian spices.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Muttakos Poriyal Recipe Kit (No. 28)
Produce & Natural Foods
- 3 cup Cabbage (shredded) [shredded; 3 cup = 10 oz]
- 1 cup Carrot (grated) [grated; 1 cup = 6 oz]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 0.5 piece Jalapeno
- 0.5 oz Fresh Cilantro [optional, for garnish]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 0.75 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting, Chopping & Whipping
1. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root or grate using ginger grater.
- 2. Vertically slit open jalapeno and de-seed it.
- 3. Chop cilantro leaves (optional).
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in wok OR sauté pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Gold Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will be just 15-20 seconds if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced ginger and de-seeded jalapeno to the roasted spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until ginger loses its pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 4
Add shredded cabbage & shredded carrots and mix them well with the roasted spices.
- Layer 5
Add entire contents ofBlack Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and mix it well. Cover the wok/ pan with lid and continue on medium heat till cabbage is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- 1. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!