Yellow lentils & seasonal vegetables stew simmered with tamarind, curry leaves and South Indian spices.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Sambhar Recipe Kit (No. 05)
- 1 cup Split Pigeon Peas (Hindi name: Arhar or Toor Dal) [1 cup = 7 oz]
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind Paste
Produce & Natural Foods
- 1 piece Zucchini [1 medium-sized = 0.7 lb]
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 0.75 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. Chop zucchini in 1 inch cubes.
- Boiling Lentils
1. Boil lentils with 2 cups of water. Boil until lentils are tender and thickened. Lentils can be boiled in pressure cooker OR sauce pan. If cooking in sauce pan, add more water, to prevent drying out.
- Boiling Vegetables
1. Boil chopped Zucchini in 2 cups of water, entire content of Gold Pack, 1 teaspoon of tamarind paste & ¾ teaspoon of salt. Boil until zucchini turns tender. Sauce Pan can be used for boiling zucchini
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in frying pan.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Black Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will be just 15-20 seconds if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add spice mix to boiled lentils. Add boiled zucchini to the lentils. Gently stir lentils to mix the herb & spice mix with boiled lentil. Let it simmer for 2 minutes on slow heat.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking. Cooking Time Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to cook. If cooking in sauce pan add more water to prevent drying out.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!