Rice, lentils & seasonal vegetables are infused with tamarind, curry leaves and South Indian spices to create this wholesome meal from Karnataka.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Bisibele Bhath Recipe Kit (No. 27)
- 0.5 cup Basmati Rice [0.5 cup = 3.5 oz]
- 0.25 cup Split Pigeon Peas (Hindi name: Arhar or Toor Dal) [0.25 cup = 1.75 oz]
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind Paste
Produce & Natural Foods
- 0.5 cup Green Beans [0.5 cup = 3 oz]
- 0.5 cup Carrot [0.5 cup = 6 oz]
- 0.25 cup Peas [shelled; 0.25 cup = 1.5 oz]
- 1 piece Onion [1 medium-sized = 0.4 lb]
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR Equivalent]
- 1 piece Jalapeno
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola or Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. Peel and finely dice onion.
- 2. Peel & finely dice fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater.
- 2. Vertically slit open jalapeno and de-seed it.
- Boiling Rice & Lentils
1. Boil ½ cup of rice, ¼ cup of arhar dal (lentil) & chopped vegetables, entire contents of Gold Pack, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of tamarind paste & 2 cups of water until lentils & rice are cooked and are tender. Rice-lentil mix can be boiled in pressure cooker or sauce pan with lid. Add more water to prevent drying out if cooking in sauce pan.
- Preparing Herb & Spice Mix (Layering Technique)
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Layer 2
When oil is heated, turn heat to medium and add entire contents of Black Pack to roast spices. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, till you smell slight aroma of roasted spices. It will take 15-20 seconds to roast spices if oil is hot enough.
- Layer 3
Add diced onion, minced ginger, de-seeded jalapeno. Continue on medium heat, stirring often, until the onions become translucent and ginger lose its pungent smell and start smelling nutty & little sweet.
- Layer 4
Add entire contents of Silver Pack & ground red chili (optional, according to taste) and roast on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring gently and mixing well.
- Layer 5
Add ¼ cup of water to herb & spice mix, stir it well and add this mix to boiled rice & lentil mix. Stir to mix it well. Let it simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
How to Tell When Oil is Hot When a small piece of food (a bit of ginger OR garlic OR onion) sizzles immediately when added to the pan. Start Cooking only after all the Preparation steps are completed In Indian Cooking each step move fast so every ingredient should be in ready-to-cook state and should be close to the cooking station before starting cooking. Cooking Time Cooking Time quoted is in case Pressure Cooker is used to cook.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!