Fish fillets are rolled in a chickpeas batter with ginger, garlic, carom seeds and other spices and then deep fried to create this crispy, flavorful delicacy from North Indian city of Amritsar.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 pack Amritsari Machhi Recipe Kit (No. 20)
- 1 cup Gram Flour (Chickpeas Flour, Hindi Name: Besan) 1 cup = 3.5 oz
- 1 pound Fish Fillet [Tilapia OR Cod Or Sole OR similar Mild Flavor Fish]
Produce & Natural Foods
- 2 piece Fresh Ginger Root [2 inch long & roughly ½ inch diameter OR equivalent]
- 6 piece Garlic Cloves (medium-sized)
- 0.25 piece Onion [¼ medium-sized = 0.1 lb]
- 1 piece Lemon (medium-sized)
- 1 oz Fresh Mint
- 0.5 oz Fresh Cilantro
- 0.5 piece Jalapeno
Basic Cooking Ingredients
- 1 cup Cooking Oil [Sunflower, Safflower, Canola OR Olive Oil based on preference]
- 1.25 teaspoon Salt
- Cutting & Chopping
1. Cut fish fillets in 2 – 2 ½ inch cubes.
- 2. Peel & finely dice one piece of fresh ginger root OR grate using ginger grater. Peel the other piece of fresh ginger root.
- 3. Peel & finely mince 4 pieces of garlic cloves OR crush using garlic press. Peel other 2 pieces of garlic cloves.
- 4. Peel the onion.
- 5. Squeeze juice of the lemon.
1. Marinate fish cubes in ½ teaspoon salt & 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.
- Preparing Batter
1. Make batter of gram flour, diced ginger, minced garlic, entire contents of Gold Pack and water. Batter should be of slightly thick & flowing consistency. Taste the marinade for Spiciness OR Pungency. Adjust the Spiciness OR Pungency based on preference by adding red chili in increments of ⅛ teaspoon.
(Note the final amount of red chili added for adjusting Spiciness Or Pungency as it will come handy while cooking other recipes)
- Deep Frying
1. Heat oil in Kadai (Indian wok) or any Deep Fryer. Dip fish cubes in batter and deep fry the fish till golden brown and crisp.
- 1. Serve with lemon wedges at side.
- Put mint leaves, cilantro leaves, 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 peeled garlic cloves, peeled piece of ginger, peeled onion, jalapeno, entire contents of Silver Pack, ¼ teaspoon of salt & ¼ cup of water in blender and blend till smooth.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!